So my second Olympic inspired, healthy recipe this week is not a cake of any kind but I did say I’ll be sharing recipes for “baked goods”. 😉
I was introduced to granola bars by my boyfriend, who is a big fan of them, and I love them. A granola bar with ice cold milk for breakfast or as a snack is amazing! However, a lot of shop bought granola bars are high in sugar, fat and carbs.
Here’s a recipe that is low fat, low sugar and low carb 🙂
Makes: 24 bars (Though this is only a recommended serving, I doubt I’d be able to get that many out of an 8×8 pan so go by your own judgment or just double the recipe and use a bigger pan)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (or old fashioned oats will do)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup Grape-Nuts cereal (or granola)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 16-ounce package mixed dried-fruit bits
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (you can leave this out or substitute for any other chopped nuts)
- 1/4 cup dark-chocolate chips (you can also leave this out to make it extra healthy but dark chocolate is healthier than milk or white chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8-by-8-inch pan with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, both flours, ground flaxseeds, Grape-Nuts, and ginger. Add egg, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, and oil; mix well. Stir in fruit bits, sunflower seeds, walnuts, and chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool completely on a wire rack. Use edges of foil to lift cooked granola from pan, and cut into bars.
Nutrition facts per bar: 155 calories, 3g protein, 28g carbohydrate, 5g fat (1g saturated), 2g fiber
I love this recipe and I think it might work well with dark chocolate chips and orange segments. Anyone on the go can grab one of these or even put it in your child’s lunch box!
Hope you all like it as much as me xx
“Happiness lies first of all in health”